Montalay Eco Cottage
– comfortable, standard fan rooms in a great garden setting
– very relaxing and nice pool area
– private beach with great snorkeling area
– far away from town on the other side of the island – bumpy ride to get there!
– bit more expensive restaurant and costly transport to pier and other bars
– shared bathrooms
– for a standard fan room with shared bathroom around 20€ / night. For a standard double room with air-con between 30 and 40€ / night.
Nice beach resort located on the other side of the island. Getting there is quite nerve-wrecking as you have to drive through bad and bumpy roads. Very secluded so perfect for relaxing by the pool or doing some snorkeling around the reef which is right in front. Beach as such is with rough sand. Cottages are good for the price – there is also a resort connected (Montalay Beach Resort) so you can also have larger, air-conditioned rooms for a higher price. Overall a great place to stay and relax from the bustle for max 2-3 nights.
Other recommendations to stay
Bros&Sis Place (nice and new hotel conveniently located close to pier and other attractions, around 35€ / night for a double air-con room).
Koh Tao Royal Resort (directly at the beach, standard private bungalows and a quiet location, high-end resort for around 50 to 60€ / night).